Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2013 08:40:08 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (38 lines)
Hi Everyone,

I keep waiting for this Baby "unwise" method to die out. But it keeps lingering, unfortunately.

This is such a terrible parenting method because it uses the mother's religious beliefs against her, IMHO. This philosophy basically tells her that if she responds to her baby, she is a bad mother AND a bad Christian. It's very hard for many mothers to overcome that much pressure and guilt, especially if they do not have any other role models or support in their life that model nurturing her child.

Sometimes it's also hard to get through to these women unless you can also address the theological problems. Often we are talking to them about why this won't work for breastfeeding, but that's not overcoming the faulty theology which is really the crux of the problem for the mother, I think. Dr. Sears has written quite a bit in response to this parenting method, and targeted the medical problems and theological problems with this parenting style. Here is the link to a website, Gentle Christian Mothers, which has many links to his and other authors writings regarding the problems with this method. 

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/topics/unprepared.php

The most alarming part of your post for me was the fact that this mother was unconcerned with the infant's slow weight gain. That's really scary. Someone else asked about infant deaths associated with this method. Yes, I believe there have been a couple deaths, and numerous cases of failure to thrive. But the authors of the book blame those cases on the mother's inability to maintain a milk supply, not because they recommended a strict 3 hour nursing schedule, or that the infant should sleep through the night from birth. Because of that the AAP also has a statement on their website that they do not recommend this parenting program, because it is dangerous.

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC

>Hi Everyone,
>Does anyone know of any research on the negative outcomes for baby 
>when breastfeeding is rigidly scheduled/limited due to parenting 
>beliefs? I don't have permission to post so I won't go into details, 
>but I think giving specific research to a mom that I am working with 
>might help her if she can see  the long term consequences of what 
>she is doing, because the very slow weight gain is not that 
>concerning to her.
>
>Warmly,
>Susie McCulloch, IBCLC  retired LLLL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2