Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 10:31:03 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (14 lines)
Dear lactnuts,

There are 2 bills being proposed during this congressional session (to be decided upon before Thanksgiving, I believe).  These bills (FDA Reform) would limit access to consumers to purchase vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc.  I believe that it might still be possible to purchase very low potency supplements (less than or equal to RDA).  Supplements would mostly be available through physician prescription.
This would cause problems for our clients who wish to use herbs to increase milk supply or to correct oversupply, as well as other supplements they wish to use at the recommendation of their nutritionist/herbalist/homeopath.  This affects all of us as well - limiting our right to make decisions about the care of our own bodies.  Yes, some people exceed appropriate dosages.  BUT - how many people overdose on prescription drugs, how many people take too many aspirins, tylenol, laxatives, etc.  HOW MANY PEOPLE EAT TOO MANY POTATO CHIPS?  All that fat and salt will kill you!!  Will they remove cough/flu remedies, pepto bismal, fresh greens (too many give you diarrhea), etc?  If you eat 2 oranges, you have exceeded the RDA for vitamin C.
The cost of supplements will become prohibitive if they are  available only through prescriptions.  AND... if the physician doesn't believe that fenugreek or blessed thistle will increase milk supply - he just won't write the script for your client...
If you care to respond to these bills (I have already), but the more, the better:
Senate Bill S830 (Harmonization or GAT)
House of Rep bill HR1411 (FDA Reform)
Write to your senators and representatives quickly.

...watch the coffee - too much may give you stomach ulcers!
Dani Hudspeth RN, BSN, IBCLC
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2