Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:37:19 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Since I asked the first initial and ignorant question about intact cords and bathing, I wanted to let you know that my question was in vain.  The baby's cord fell off just two hours before I saw the family!  Baby has had no bottles since my visit, thanks to Mom's perseverance and Baby's intelligence <g>, so thank you for your kind thoughts sent my way privately!

However, I now have more questions given the lively discussion.  It is not uncommon for mothers with babies who refuse to latch to be told to bathe/rebirth/etc.  Now I read that many facilities tell new mothers to avoid bathing for 6 weeks.  I can see how the position which *most* mothers would have in a tub would simply be conducive to nursing, regardless of whether they were on a firm mattress or in the water, just as Denise suggested.  However, we seem to have varying suggestions, varying opinions, varying discharge instructions...where is the evidence for our practices???  I have my own opinions formed through self-education and personal experience.  That does not evidence make, unfortunately <g>.  Nikki, I had the most incredible water birth with my youngest after four other fabulous births.  With my youngest and the water birth baby, I continued to take tub baths with him, regardless of his cord or my discharge.  But, interestingly, he would nurse in the tub only in a cradle or cross-cradle position, so is the position what is helpful or is it the water?  We are back to evidence-based practice and, while a small matter, it seems to absorb great quantities of new parents' time...elaborate cord care or no cord care and why.  Tub baths or sitz baths or showers only.  If we have evidence to suggest that something is helpful *and* promotes breastfeeding, great...send it our way!!!  If we don't have evidence to say that taking a bath is harmful, then send that, too!

Warmly,
Rebecca DeYoung-Daniels, MBA, RD, LD, IBCLC in KS who is coping with a tub-only situation due to me asking my dh to repair *two* tiles in the shower...the bathroom is now gutted...maybe this is all about me dreaming of hot showers again <g>

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2