Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2010 16:35:55 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (17 lines)
Gonneke responded to my last post re delayed infant solids as follows:"Could this not very well be an issue similar to the question ´´do dummies cause sucking problems or are kids with sucking problems more prone to dummie-use?´´  Thus: ''Are children who start on solids later than 6 months at risk for eating problems or will children with eating issues self limit and start solids later?''

Let me first clarify that I do not feel that 6 months is delaying introduction of solids.  I see 6mo as a beginning of introduction.  My definition of delay of solid introduction would be more at 10 to 12 months of never regularly offering spoon feeds. I am not referring to full meals at this point.  You have a point about which comes first?, the issue already being present complicating acceptance of infant solids.  This would be much more so when looking at medical issues such as anatomical like severe tongue tie, neurological issues, aspiration of thin textures etc.  delays in development may not allow for introduction of spoon feedings if the skills of head and neck control, presence of tongue thrusting, swallow/dysphasia concerns.  I have seen many times, that taste preference are less evident (not to say they are not there, they are) as they will be as a toddler. You have a much better chance of an 8mo old learning to accept the taste of bland pureed green beans at 8 months instead of 14months.  The 14 month old may have the skills that will allow for biting and chewing a soft cooked green bean piece.  They may also have developed a preference for mom and the breast and refuse more vigorously at 14 months than they did at 8 months.
Angie Kirkwoodrn bsn ibclc rlc

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2