Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 1996 21:03:26 PDT
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
I have been reading the posts regarding WIC with great interest.  I was recently terminated from my position at a WIC agency after 4 years as their Breastfeeding Coordinator.  The Coordinator of the agency was (and is) very upset that our funds were cut.  Our breastfeeding rates rose steadily each year.  We had an average of 10 trained Peer Counselors who contacted 50-100 mothers each month.  We taught breastfeeding classes in the clinics and made home visits if problems occured.  I was very satisfied with the work that was being done and I felt we really made a difference.

When I was hired for this job there was a big push for breastfeeding in NY state WIC.  There were a number of LC's hired and there was money to support these programs. About a year ago, the money for breastfeeding was combined with all the other WIC funds-before this it was a seperate grant.  As of today-only one of the original LCs is left and she only works 7 hours a week.

WIC agencies are still required to have a Peer Counseling Program and a Breastfeeding Coordinator, but it seems that many of the agencies are just using one of their regular nutritionists in that capacity.  They still are expected to do all the things they did before and are not given much time to devote to breastfeeding.  Kind of like what happened a number of years ago, when hospitals were required to have a breastfeeding coordinator and appointed someone on staff.  The unfortunate person in this capacity is just a figurehead.  More unfortunate if they care about breastfeeding because there just isn't enough time to get everything required done.

Breastfeeding was the cause of the moment a few years ago.  I believe it has been replaced by a new cause.  Immunization has become the new call.  I also think a great deal of tax money is also being funnelled into efficiency programs.  Breastfeeding just isn't the news anymore.

Unfortunately it's the new mothers and babies who suffer.  Most of us are not able to give our services away because we need to make a living and support our families.  Women on WIC are just not able to pay for these services.

I don't regret my work with the wonderful women I met when I was at WIC.  I do think I made a difference in the world.  I just feel so sad that it is over.  I hope all of you who are with WIC have better luck.  (Sorry, SB if you are on line-I know you are doing the best you can)

Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC
Highland Mills, NY

ATOM RSS1 RSS2