Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2013 06:43:45 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
I think that Tania is right, it is sometimes difficult to give this information without hurting their feelings or turning them off. For years we have talked about the benefits of breastfeeding, so much that people now think that breastfeeding is great, but both are just fine or maybe better. I work with a large population of Hispanic women and doing "both" is really common in this culture. I'm beginning to make progress though by just clearly stating the downside of giving formula, especially during the first few days. I recently watched a seminar by Paul Meier about the evidence for the new core measure of exclusive breastmilk feeding. It's available on the Medela website if you want to watch it. It's really good. I don't make any money off it, it just really opened my eyes. I used some of the information to talk to management and the MD's about why we are having this new core measure, and now they are more on board with it.

Now I'm able to more effectively communicate to my patients exactly what goes on inside the baby's GI system when they have formula right away, and it is beginning to make some impact on some people. So I'm beginning to have more success than before. Many people are unaware that formula actually changes the pH of the baby's stomach, and that studies have shown that babies who receive early formula supplementation actually have shorter intestinal length and less surface area than exclusively breastfed babies. Also, there is the whole allergy issue to discuss, and obesity, too. Babies who are formula-fed will receive 5 times more protein in the first few weeks, than breastfed babies which increases their risk of obesity. I also mention how the formula forms a relationship to the pathogens in the intestine, but breastfed inhibits their growth and helps to increase the healthy bacteria count in the intestines. 

Sincerely,

Tricia Shamblin, RN, IBCLC
Waukegan, IL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2