Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 11:27:35 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
This is a follow up on "Sick Baby - Need help" from two weeks ago.
Baby is now 3 ½ months. Has been admitted local Children's Hospital for Severe failure to thrive and worked up by every service.  No abnormalities have been found except slight reflux.  
Good intake, good urine output, 1 very foul thick stool per week.
Creamatocrit shows 30 cal./oz. Mom BF 8 children before with no problem.  Reflux meds made problem worse. Neutramagin didn't help either.

The attention has been turned back to the milk.  The lab is working on ways to test milk since the equipment is set up to run other body fluids.  
I called our local dairy lab to see what they could run.  The lab guy there offered to run the milk for fat, lactose, protein and total solids, FREE.  (He even offered to pick up the sample from the hospital, sweet guy)

Main point here!!!!
He offered to run a sematic cell count.  What's that? I said.  He said that cows can have an infection in their udder (with no symptoms of mastitis) that changes the composition of the milk and makes in indigestible.  Can Humans do that?, Isaid. All mammals, he said.  So, a sematic cell count detects the # of dead leucocytes. If it is over 300,000 it is too high, and can make a person sick.

He also suggest we test for Beta lactums.  I won't try to explain this one.

Well, I'm not brave enough to suggest we send the milk to this dairy without an opinion from you guys.  He clearly knows more about testing milk that the hospital lab; they called me to find normal values for milk.  He also offered to consult a Ph.D. from Mississippi State Dairy Science program to make sure his values are consistent with human needs.(The guy at State is a wiz with all species milk, I have talked to him before on another issue.)

Anyone have milk and lab experience?  What do you think?  We are desperate.

I am NO MAIL so please answer privately, I will check the archives often too.

Thanks,
Connie

ATOM RSS1 RSS2