Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:09:48 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (54 lines)

Ahh, tandem nursing! It's different for every dyad (triad, really)

I believe than Fenugeek (sp?) is contraindicted during pregnancy. As a "veteran" tandem nurser, I get many tandem nursing questions from mothers. I had no supply issues during pregnancy. However, I know many dedicated mothers whose supply simply "dried up" duing the middle months of their pregnancy. It is a heartbreaking scenario for a dedicated nurser, but we must remember to first feed the baby. 

The ear infection and teething may play a part. However, the mother sounds like she is doing everything she can to get baby nursing again. Sometimes, these mothers just need to hear that they may need to suppliment after nursing, and that their toddler will be able to nurse for nourishment after the baby is born. She has done her best, but nature works in mysterious ways. I have known a few babies who have become so frustrated trying to nurse while mama was pregnant that they ceased nurisng entirely. 

I cannot imagine that pumping would be a problem during pregnancy (the prolactin receptors in the uterus are not yet receptive at this stage) but I worry that it would not do much good and only get the mother's hopes up.

I have found that many mothers in this situation need a LOT of reasurrance that they have not failed. The fact that the mom did not automatically wean when she found out she was pregnant tells us a lot about her level of dedication to her children. If she is truly "dry," a laid back attitude on her part about nursing may leave the door open for her toddler to resume nursing once the baby is born and she has more than enough milk to go around. There is nothing like an enthusiastic toddler to relieve engorgement or help with low supply :)

I know that a book reccomendation may sound trite, however...Adventures in Tandem Nursing, published by LLLI, has wonderful information about the subject. I think it is a great read for mothers in this situation, and a MUST READ for LCs. The author includes many stories from mothers across the spectrum. Those who nursed throughuot pregnancy, those who wanted to wean, and those who had to wean due to no supply, despite their best efforts. 

Kellie Whitney, mama to (weaned by his choice) Mick, 4 1/2 and Ella, 2 1/2, who shows no signs of stopping any year soon!
---
Baby is 10 mos. old and was happily breastfeeding till ear infection which 
was treated with antibiotics and has resolved according to ped. Baby has
not 
nursed in ten days and completely refuses, arches back, screams, etc when
put 
to breast. Mother is two months pregnant but pumping with Lactina, though
I 
don't know how often. Also, baby is getting a molar. Mother is very 
compliant, trying co-bathing, co-sleeps, skin-to-skin, etc. and this is her
third 
child. I am concerned about using herbs, pumping, etc. with pregnancy.
Your 
thoughts??/ thanks, Ann

Ann Conlon-Smith, IBCLC 
Triangle Lactation Consultants 
919-845-8826 
_www.trianglelactation.com_ (http://www.trianglelactation.com/) 

---------------------------------
Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small Business.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2