Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 10:26:03 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
See my publication on the risks to the infant from chemicals in breast milk vs the risks of using formula feeding instead of breast milk.

My analysis (and those of the World Health Organization, La Leche League, as well as other researchers) clearly shows that the benefits of breast milk for the prevention of mortality and morbidity outweighs potential risks due to the trace levels of pollutants in breast milk.  And, the risks of formula feeding (increased death and illness rates) are so substantial that they outweigh the small risks of chemicals in breast milk.  That said, it is always best to provide uncontaminated milk, so breast feeding mothers should strive to reduce her exposures to contaminants which are likely to find their way to breast milk (lipophilic, fat soluble, little metabolized).  Many contaminants are in long term storage in her body fat, and are a result of years of exposure to small amounts of persistent chemicals in food, air, workplace, etc. 

The take home message is:  When a mother is exposed to chemicals in the workplace or at home, she is likely to absorb and distribute these chemicals to breastmilk to some extent;  however, the resultant chemical levels in breast milk are generally low, and women should be advised about how to reduce exposures that may affect breast milk quality rather than turn to formula-feeding. 

Please see my chapter entitled, " Parents worried about breast milk contamination:  What is best for baby?" in Pediatric Clinics of North America, volume 48, number 5, October 2001, pp 1113-1127. 

While I don't have data on formula contaminants, I fully agree with Sandra Steingraber that contaminant levels in cows milk and formulas are going to be much lower than what is found in human milk.  Besides the pollutants themselves, of course breast milk provides immunological protection that cannot be substituted by cows milk or formula. 

Please contact me privately if you would like a copy of the Pediatrics Clinics article and you cannot obtain one from your medical library.
Judy Schreiber

Judith S. Schreiber, Ph.D.
Senior Public Health Scientist
Office of the Attorney General
Bureau of Environmental Protection
The Capitol
Albany NY 12224
518-474-4819 desk
518-474-9267 sec
518-473-2534 fax
email [log in to unmask]  

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2