Date:
Tue, 10 Jul 2012 22:06:51 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Susan said,
>
>What is not being considered when you have a scale that is accurate to within a 2 gm difference is that this is a + or - variation.  So, this means that the range around the actual weight is 4 gm.  Similarly a scale that is accurate within a 5 gm difference would have a range of 10 gm around the actual weight.  Similarly a scale that is accurate to within a 10 gm difference would have a range of 20 gm around the actual weight.  10 gm is 1/3 of a an ounce.  
>

Susan, that is what I meant when I said that I don't want to tell a mom that her 40gm ac/pc weight difference is actually anywhere from 35-45gm. I was referring to the scale's range and like you I like that range to be a tight one. And that brings me to one other consideration that it is important to me: yes, as Jan said, low milk transfer is low milk transfer whether it's 3ml or 10ml; that difference may not significantly change my advice to her. BUT...I am not the only person in the room with the scale. The mother is too. And for some moms in some cases, 10 ml feels and sounds a lot better than 3ml. For others, knowing that the scale is THAT accurate - 2gm - is what gives her the sort of confidence in her milk-making ability that has previously eluded her.  Just this week I saw a client whose ac/pc weight difference was 84gm - on one breast in no more than 10 minutes. Doubts about her milk supply were one of the reasons she asked to see me.

Those doubts are now gone....

Regina Maria Roig-Romero, BS IBCLC
Miami FL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2