Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Apr 2011 22:21:09 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
Dear Lacnet Teachers,

I had a message from a mother last night asking about if its normal for slight menstruation to occur while taking fenugreek.
This is my first time encountering such situation.

The mother is 1.5months postpartum, do not have any history of hypertension nor diabetic, but she has a history of migraine in which resulted her to take Imigran, but she has yet to use it for the past 1 year. The mother is in her late 20s and this is her 3rd child whom she is trying to prolong breastfeeding beyond 1 month as compared to her first 2 children. She is currently taking Motherlove's More Milk Plus, 2 capsules 3x a day (dosage for above 80kgs) 

She had noticed small amounts of bright red to brownish discharge about 1-3 teaspoon in amount after taking fenugreek. She had started on fenugreek 2 weeks ago (with 60 capsules) and she has then bought another bottle of 90 capsules earlier this week.

I had to check online and found out that Fenugreek is also a uterine stimulant (hence not suitable to be used during pregnancy) however it was indicated that large quantities will result to this and I do not think  that the mother would have uterine contractions if the recommended dosage is being taken.

The mother also has recurrent plugged ducts and I had suggested Letchitin as the supplement to help this and it did.

I had presented to her possible side effects of fenugreek being a uterine contractor and told her to see her doctor to rule out any other possibilities and from our last conversation, it seems that she will not be seeing her doctor and told me that she "will monitor the situation for the next few days and see how".

I'm dealing with a conservative Chinese mother here.

Has anyone encountered anything like this before? I'm really lost here...

Your advise is greatly appreciated.

Warmest,
Moe Fletcher,CLEC
Brunei Darussalam

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2