Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 10:27:28 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
"when a man crossed the restaurant to confront her about 'feeding poison to her baby' "  
"So now we are trying to educate our community that method of feeding is none of anyone's business except the family's whether it is bottle feeding at a month or breastfeeding at 6 years"

Yes I see this as becoming a problem too, in our area with our high initiation rates.  On a radio call-in show last year, the only negative comment about NIP was a caller who felt she was actually being looked down on for BOTTLE-FEEDING in public.  I think she had a valid point.

Perhaps Dianne W's insight to promote BFING as NORMAL, not as perfect or "the best" has even more relevance here.  I think the more that we talk about bfing as "the miracle food", "the gold standard" "give your baby the best", this places the bfing family as thinking they are being super parents, extra righteous, etc.  They should realize they are just being normal.  The "righteous" bfing mom can do as much damage to promoting bfing, as the out-spoken criticizer of NIP.

As someone said before on Lactnet, its really all about good manners - one should never directly comment on any other individual's behaviour in public.

Janice Reynolds
Founder, Moms For Milk Breastfeeding Network
Saskatchewan, Canada

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2