Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2011 08:25:34 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (57 lines)
PLEASE open the face plate!  There is NO room in there for such a thing.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Laura Dunn
Sent: Friday, February 25, 2011 3:34 PM
Subject: preventing moisture exposure in pumps

Hi fellow breastfeeding professionals,
So I had an idea. I wonder if anyone has tried it? If you did, what kind of results did you find?

Let's say a Mom is already opening her suspect pump to clean and inspect for mold and mildew. Can she put something in there after it is cleaned to prevent the moisture from causing trouble so quickly? I immediately think of the little silica packets that come in some medication bottles for this purpose.

I also thought of rice. You know how we give our cell phones 'rice baths' to dry them out after they get water logged? Also, what about how we put it in our salt shakers supposedly to absorb moisture? Is rice something that could be used? Would a little fabric pouch of rice fit in there? Would it work to absorb moisture?

There are also commercial products that seem to be similar to the clays and compounds that are in the little silica packets in our medications. They are readily available in grocery stores. I do not know the safety of this. Is there any such product that would fit the job description? But is it safe near the milk, Mom/Babe?

Damprid is one such company that makes this type of thing. Here is their MSDS information about their products in PDF form:
http://www.damprid.com/index111f.html?cat4994

I will let those of you more knowledgeable about toxic/ nontoxic things wade through that, if you don't mind.

The experience that you guys share of finding mold in pumps will change my practice for sure. This is one more factor in resistant yeast. A factor that I have never thought of asking about.

I am also thinking of how this will change my teaching. I'm thinking of a typical situation where a Mom buys a pump, barely uses it, but has a baby two years later and THIS time, has to go back to work after babe. She is ready to reap the benefits of making an investment in an expensive pump a couple years prior. Or is she? It seems it would be in great condition if it was barely used. Well, it sounds like it might depend on how it was stored. I'm considering sharing with families not to store their unused but usable pumps in attics or garages, or other such places where the temperature, and by default humidity level, is uncontrolled. Something I never mentioned before this came up.

Also, maybe they should be reminded not to leave or store their open system pumps in kitchens or bathrooms where the dampness can creep in. Does anybody know where the mothers kept their pumps which have been cultured positive? Also, what is the climate, is this happening more in certain climates like the humid Southern states in the US?

Thanks for all the work you do!

Warmly,
Laura Dunn, LPN, IBCLC
Newberg, Oregon

Also, I posted a similar post to my blog today: http://www.lactationlaura.blogspot.com

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2