Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 May 2011 06:47:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
I have been teaching moms to use coconut oil for about 10 years now and have promised the IBCLC in Private Practice group to put together an hand out on its uses for breastfeeding. AFTER I get back to France from teaching workshops in the States next week (which include just this subject). I will post here when it is finished for anyone who wants it.Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, France

Date:    Wed, 18 May 2011 23:20:30 -0400From:    Christine Staricka <[log in to unmask]>Subject: Re: Coconut oil for sore nipples

Although I am unaware of any studies on the use of coconut oil for sore nipples, and I didn't look in my texts because I assumed you already had,  I was able to find references for the use of lauric acid as an antibacterial agent  Lauric acid is found in very few compounds, the most important of which is human milk :)  I think it's one of those things where we are learning as we go, and it makes sense because we also tell moms to express their own milk onto their sore nipples.  The coconut oil would just be adding additional lauric acid which should logically increase the antimicrobial activity, unless for some reason I'm not imagining it would be too much of a good thing.  

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2