Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jul 2006 19:45:14 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (48 lines)
You were so well-spoken, Melissa!

Some of the comments from the other side (which more than outnumbered "us") really chapped me. The other woman who was interviewed commented that is it not "good ettiquite" for a woman to take off her shirt in public and breastfeed her baby. I run in VERY pro-breastfeeding circles, and I have NEVER seen a mother do this. Ever. Still, the needs of an infant should always trump ettiquite!

I think that GMA did a good job of balancing the inequity of responses "on the street" by showing many shots of women breastfeeding discreetly. None of them were using any sort of "shame tent," but their infants and toddlers were nursing in a way that left mom very covered. Yes, you could tell that they were breastfeeding, but you couldn't really see anything. I really think that many of the people who are against NIP are uncomfortable with the act of breastfeeding itself, and use NIP as an excuse to vent this discomfort.

As I write this, my 2-year-old is standing next to me and nursing. I would NEVER let her nurse like that in public, as I recognize that it would make others uncomfortable. However, I do not hide her nursing when we are out and about. I want others to become familiar with a baby or toddler (or older child) nursing in front of them. The way to accomplish that goal is to DO IT! And, I have never had to remove clothing to nurse my children. I do not use nursing tops anymore. It was too expensive to replace mine with smaller ones after I finally lost the baby weight. :) Still, one can be plenty discreet while wearing normal clothing. Even my father-in-law, who used to be very uncomfortable with seeing even a momentary view of a nipple, has pretty much gotten over it. He still averts his glance if I am wearing a tank or something that exposes a bit more than he is comfy with, but he sees it as his responsiblity to look away if he isn't comfortable, not my responsibility to
 remove myself from view. Want to know why is is more comfortable now? EXPOSURE TO BREASTFEEDING! Like most people, he simply wasn't used to seeing a woman breastfeed in public. BTW, he is a very conservative, stubborn 72-year-old. His children, and his daugther's children, were not breastfed. He tells me regularly that I am the best mom he knows, and that he is proud of me for nursing my children for so "long." My older child weaned at 3 years, 4 months, so I guess that is pretty long for our society. He is my helpful bringer of pillows and water when we visit.

My uncle was visiting recently, and he jokingly commented that it was unfair to men that I could nurse my child so discreetly...baby got a healthy meal, and he didn't get to see anything! OK, I know that sounds kind of sick, but he is an uncle by marriage, and we have always had a very comfortable teasing-based relationship. It was actually very sweet.

--Kellie Whitney, LLLL

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 12:39:12 -0400
Subject: GMA Piece

Here's a link to part of the show. (I was one of the people interviewed). It 
was still working this morning, but not sure how much longer it can be 
accessed. There is a short commercial before the piece starts. It does not 
include the Babytalk Editor.

http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=2205769

Melissa

\

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail Beta.

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2