Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Feb 2014 12:19:44 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (52 lines)
Judi wrote: 
I got a call from an INCL asking for help with counseling deaf parents. Any suggestions? 

Judi, 

I'm not sure what those initials mean but I can give some suggestions for working with deaf parents: 

1. Find a good breastfeeding video that has the option of closed captions. The one we show in prenatal class is from Enjoy (with whom I have no financial interest) and has that option which we utilize when there are deaf parents in class. 

2.There are light systems desige d for the use of the deaf so that if someone rings the doorbell, a light flashes. I believe this can also be arranged to activate with sound or movement. This can be in the baby's room to alert mother to when baby rouses. AND also discuss baby-wearing as a perfect way to learn baby's cues and be able to respond to them quickly. 

3. If you will see the mother in a hospital se tting,the hospital is  required to provide an interpreter. You may need to make an appo intment because a) the interpretor usually isn't there all day and b) the other people who want to talk to the parents (birth registry, MDs, nurse for discharge teaching, etc.) also need scheduled. Ask the interpretor to speak what she is signing so that you can correct any misinformation, e.g colostrum bei ng called water (happened to me.) 

4. If parents can lip read, remember to speak slowly with good enunciation and not to speak any louder than normal. 

5. Focus on basics. Like every new mother, she is concerned with how to know the baby gets enough. Since she can't hear swallows and it can be difficult to see swallows, I show deaf  mothers how to cup the breast and then slide the index finger to rest by the chin or jaw line. This way the mother can feel the change from sucks to swallow. By showing her how to suppo rt the breast  by  sliding up the rib cage and under the breast just close enough to place the finger properly, it also helps keep the hand from getting too close to the nipple and interfe ring with latch. 

6. We frequently  use the photo sheet "Breastfeedi ng: Latch-on 1,2,3. . ." by Health Ed ucation Associates Inc (with whom I have no financial interest)  to help illustrate good latch posi tioning for baby at breast. T he photos have written explanations which help mothers remember the main points used in the consult when latching on their own. 

Cindy Garrison, BS , IBCLC 

practicing in Pittsburgh PA 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2