Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:28:28 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
In Hartmann's research on anatomy of the breast, his group reports finding small systems with sometimes only a single alveolus connected to a nipple pore with a short duct, close to the nipple within the areola.  These areas fill with milk and are more noticeable with block feeding (as they distend more) then will drain to non-palpable after feeding.  These are not Montgomery tubercles.  I'm beginning to wonder if what we called Montgomery glands even exist (like the lactiferous sinuses?).  I'm thinking I might have heard something about this at one of the conferences. 

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Susie McCulloch
Sent: Monday, July 20, 2009 1:18 PM
Subject: unusual skin problem on areola. Please help!

Hi Everyone,
I saw a mom in the WIC clinic who has something on her areola that I have never seen before: (Permission to post) The mom complains of itching and burning pain that is worse with latch and at end of the feed. The nipple is pink and shiny. The pain started 3 weeks ago when she noticed a bump appear on her areola, near the base of her nipple. The day before her Lac Consult, 2 more appeared. The pain is localized where the bumps are. When I examined her breast before the feed, the 3 bumps looked almost like enlarged Montgomery Glands. They are not red or infected looking. What I found surprising is that at the end of the feed, the bumps were completely gone. In there place were clusters of tiny white dots on the areola  that were not elevated at all. I could find no evidence of the 3 bumps that had been there previously! The mom said that sometimes they are still there after breastfeeding, and they are "filled with water" and red. Pain level is the same with good latch. Background history: Has been exclusively breastfeeding her 4 week old baby. Has overabundant milk supply and strong MER. Has been block feeding. Mom reported that breasts are still chronically engorged. Baby was hospitalized for 1 week when he was about 2 weeks old for a fever. 

I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who knows what this might be!
Thanks!
Susie McCulloch, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2