Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 1997 10:09:00 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (11 lines)
My $.02 --

While I agree that all moms should be able to feed openly, anywhere, I also am aware that some moms don't want to, and having an available "mothering area"
might increase the breastfeeding when away from home.  Too often I see babies that I know are BF (because I know them), taking bottles when in public because moms are too shy to even offer the breast discreetly, i.e., under a blanket, or mom's blouse/shirt.  

Another lactnetter suggested the sign -- "While mothers may breastfeed any- where in our facility,  we have provided a private area nursing area, for those who would prefer it,  located..."  I would make this the area for a changing table as well, if possible.  Notice -- I did not say mothers and their infants -- this way, maybe some moms of older babies, toddlers or nursing children might use it as well.  Sometimes the way out of the closet is not directly to the public, but first to others sharing the same traits. . .

Chanita, San Francisco

And a further thought -- men's rooms also need changing tables.  Too often I have seen dads struggling to change diapers on babes-in-arms, because the only set aside areas are in the women's restrooms.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2