Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 06:51:02 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (53 lines)
what about leaving baby skin to skin?? 

I do not see moms after they leave the hospital so I do not have great experience of this kind of situation.

However in those 1-4dys at the hospital, very most of the time i get luck with sking to skin, dark environment etc.

I am sure you must ahve thougth about it, 

Good luck, 
  Seema

Snook Ranch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  I have mom's permission to post her situation. Mom is 24 years old, first pregnancy and first baby. Pregnancy was uneventful except for about six weeks of morning sickness. EDC was May 4th but mom delivered on April 28th. She presented at L&D at 5:50 p.m. and delivered, after 3 pushes, at 6:15 p.m. - no drugs at all!
Milk supply increased 3 days from delivery. Baby given to mom after birth but mom not entirely sure if baby did latch on within that first hour of birth. Mom not successful with getting baby to maintain a latch of any length while in the hospital but they were sent home anyway with a syringe and formula. After getting home, Mom continued to express colostrum and gave it to the baby via syringe and now has reverted to giving formula and pumped milk via a bottle. I was contacted on DOL 5 and made a home visit to assess the situation. Baby will latch for 3-5 seconds pull off and scream (repeatedly). Mom is very patient and willing to try anything to continue breastfeeding. While confering with the lactation consultant at the local hospital, she suggested mom try the following: position change, rebirthing bath, nipple shield, teasing with bottle while at the breast, extended STS, close obversation of feeding cues, swaddling, unswaddling, and (finally) a referral to the WIC
 lactation consultant and she wasn't able to get baby to latch. These suggestions were given over a period of a week. As of today's visit, baby still doesn't latch for any length of time no matter what intervention. Mom continues to pump but,obviously, her supply is dropping off. She is using a Medella Lactina. I suggested she talk with her OB about Reglan (no hx of depression). Baby's weight gain is good (7-5 at birth and 8-4 today), wet diapers are >6/day and soiled diapers are 1-3/day. I encouraged mom to try breastfeeding in the lying down position and she will try tonight. At tomorrow's visit I plan to suggest the Austrialian hold. If that isn't successful, using a #5Fr. feeding tube may be in order. I really need some help.

Sorry this is so long and I hope I've covered all my suggestions and interventions with this mom and baby.

Paula Snook, R.N., B.S.N., I.B.C.L.C
Yuma, AZ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Seema Karki,RN,IBCLC 

---------------------------------
Yahoo! oneSearch: Finally,  mobile search that gives answers, not web links. 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2