Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Jun 2010 10:40:52 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (40 lines)
What brand of storage bags does mom use?  Just curious.  I know oxygen passage across the container can increase enzymatic activity.  That might be why bottles don't cause issues like bags.  Could also be the materials that the bags are made of.   

-----Original Message-----
From: Lactation Information and Discussion [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Linda Bubeck IBCLC
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2010 9:54 PM
Subject: lipase/sour milk

Hi Everyone,

I have a mom who pumped a nice stash of frozen milk for her return to work.  Recently she thawed some a discovered it smells sour.  We suspect it's the lipase.   Is it alright for the baby to drink if the baby will drink it?

The directions I've read regarding scalding milk to deactivate the lipase called for scalding freshly pumped milk.  Medela's instructions say to pump before freezing but don't mention whether or not you can do this after refrigerating.

The other thing this mom has noticed is her EBM also smells sour after a couple days in the fridge when she stores it in storage bags but not in the Medela bottles.

She wonders too if the lipase levels in her milk fluctuate.  I would imagine they do.

As always your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Linda Bubeck IBCLC, RLC 

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2