Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2012 01:04:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Dear Fellow Breastfeeding Supporters:
I returned Monday from the CLC training held in Dallas. There was a very clear statement made in the beginning that by attending this class, my scope of practice does not change (nor did anyone else's) from my previous job description (I currently teach antenatal breastfeeding classes in a hospital system.) I will not be counseling mothers but I DO want to give them current information. I spent 15 years as an LLLLeader, but retired nearly 6 years ago. I had/have some gaps and wanted more current info.
The faculty was fabulous! The course was good! Never did I hear that I was the same as an IBCLC. The 2 exercises on counseling skills were less than adequate. The 5 times I took HRE I and II  through LLL was much better.
It stymies me why the ACL is "Advanced Lactation Consultant" and not "Counselor". It contributes to the confusion.
I am also a doula (ToLabor/ALACE trained), a certified childbirth educator (CAPPA), and a massage therapist (CMT-VA, NCTMB) And while I have learned a lot in the cross over of the disciplines, each has a limited scope of practice. I would be in a twist if every doula who knew a comfort measure using massage, set up shop calling themselves a massage therapist.
I wonder if Hearthside Doula is writing what she heard rather than what was said. Even so, it will not help The Healthy Children Project if it goes on.
Just  thought....

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2