Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 2016 09:08:34 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (30 lines)
Jackie Levine asked me for post this for her.

> Begin forwarded message:
> 
> From: Jacqueline Levine <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: preterm labor
> Date: February 2, 2016 at 8:49:38 AM GMT-7
> To: [log in to unmask]
> 
> Hi.  I don’t have the studies or the info on hand as I write this, but the oxytocin receptors in the uterus are very resistant to oxytocin surges during pregnancy, so things like nursing  a baby while pregnant, or expression of colostrum don’t bring on labor.  The 300 or so receptors in the uterus have to be “primed” to be responsive and only become so very gradually at the very end of pregnancy.  That’s why induction often fails…an unready fetus in an unready uterus, and no one can predict when a baby and the uterus are really ready.  You can get contrax going like gangbusters but they won’t be effective in dilating the cervix and so on,  and c-section is the only answer once you begin down that road , so expression of colostrums is surely OK.
>  
> Please post this to the list if you will…my computer got infected and I had to wipe the hard drive and I lost the posting address, so I thank you for the favor.
>  
> Best, 
> Jackie Levine
> FACCE LCCE ACLC CLC CD(DONA) BA (Coursework for IBCLC done, writing for BreastfeedingUSA and Science and Sensibility since ’08, giving educator and support at Planned Parenthood to pregnant and nursing moms. The US Breastfeeding Committee has picked up two of my articles on teen breastfeeding mothers for its website. Also teaching the History of Childbirth in America at a local Uni as guest lecturer).

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2