Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Feb 2010 11:53:44 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Holly, I'm sorry you had that response, and I can only guess at the reason behind it. If it was an out-of-state shipment, the milk bank may simply not be able to afford the shipping unless there is enough milk to offset their lab testing and processing costs. As much as milk banks want to assist in the grieving process, taking a financial hit every time a mother whose baby died calls (we get those several times a week) can add up. Milk banks often operate at a loss or, if lucky, break even, to provide milk to recipients in need.

On the other hand, I wish the bank had referred you to another facility that could help this mom. At MMB Denver, we are able to pay the out of state shipping cost if the milk is usable for babies (mom wasn't on meds and passes the screening), no matter what the amount. If it's out of state and the milk can't be used for feeding babies, we try to find another option for that mother. We'll gladly take a local mom's milk if her baby died, no matter what, and set that milk aside for research purposes if she doesn't pass the screening. 

Hope this explanation helps. You're welcome to contact MMB Denver if you need another option. 

Karen Wilson, RN, IBCLC

Mother's Milk Bank of Denver
1719 E. 19th Avenue
Denver, CO 80218
303-869-1888
303-839-7336 (fax)

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2