Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Apr 2015 03:17:52 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (18 lines)
Thank you to all who answered my question about showering and breastfeeding.  I think I've got it now.
As for marijuana, I think the bigger issue is taking care of a baby while high more than the theoretical risk of the milk.  Do we know for sure that the increased risk of any health problems from mothers who heavily drink alcohol or smoke marijuana comes from the drugs in the milk or is it from being cared for by someone who is drunk or high?  If a mother is rarely getting high or drunk, this is a very different situation than a mother who spends her days in an altered mental state.  I'd hesitate to recommend that a mother not breastfeed for 48 hours after smoking mj, although I would recommend that she have someone sober present who will care for the baby.  Here in San Jose, we have medical dispensaries, so it's possible that I could encounter a mother who smokes for medical (or "medical") reasons daily, and I'm not sure how I would address that.  
Does THC appear in human milk?  Has this been studied?  I'd love to see a reference.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that marijuana metabolites appear in breast milk, but THC does not, but I could very well be mis-remembering.
By the way, I read recently that occasional mj smokers test positive for only 4 days, not the 3 weeks that I have previously read about, so it doesn't stay in the body as long as I (and probably many of you) previously thought. Julie Tardos, currently enjoying a hard cider (and not breastfeeding)

==== Anything worth doing is even worth doing badly.

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2