Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Apr 2011 20:27:13 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi Cassidy,

Given the history of a forcep delivery and the doctor stating that there has been some damage, I suspect that may have a lot to do with the refusal to latch/fussy nursing etc. The babies that I have seen that have had the worst sucking issues are the ones that have had either forcep or vacuum delivery. Imagine how you would feel if someone grabbed your head in a vice or vacuum and pulled you out of a tight space! I think these babies are often experiencing pain, and the interventions can cause a lot irritation to the cranial nerves which has a huge impact on a baby's ability to suck and transfer milk. I have had a lot of success with these babies with craniosacral therapy. If there is someone in your area with experience with babies, and the parents are willing, then I highly recommend it. In the mean time, as you've already recommended, mom needs to be pumping frequently to preserve milk production and offering baby lots of relaxed time at the breast, laid back, skin-to-skin with no pressure. 
As for the stridor initially, have the parents been taught appropriate (baby-led) bottle feeding? I've seen a couple of babies who appeared to have breathing issues, who really were just drowning from traditional bottle feeding methods.
The transition from LLLL to IBCLC where you're getting paid for your services can be a tough one, but remember you deserve to be compensated for your knowledge and experience. There will always be unfamiliar situations, and part of being  a "good" IBCLC is knowing when to ask for help or refer on. Good luck and let us know how it goes. :)

Warmly,
Fleur Bickford BSc., RN, IBCLC, LLLL
Ottawa, Ontario
www.nurturedchild.ca

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2