Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 16:13:42 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Following this thread, which comes up often enough, about schedule-parenting, one phrase comes to mind that might be useful for the professional couples who tend to really gravitate to this method.  That phrase is "micromanage".  To those in the business world, it signifies a boss who must regulate
everything you do and every way that you do it.  Most people (I think) don't like to be 'micromanaged'.  We all like some freedom to make our own decisions and do things our own way.  Professionals would understand the implications of this term and the idea that it is providing more structure than
might actually be healthy or productive to the person it is being exercised on.  Perhaps some parents might better understand the undesirability of micromanaging their child's lives from their earliest days, if it is put to them in those terms.  This would apply to feedings and sleep routines as
well as other things.  Just a thought.

Jan said,
<<And (b) how many of us
that have issues with food a la (a) above, were fed on a schedule, and had
food used as either reward or punishment...."If you are good, I'll get you an
ice cream cone." OR, "You've been bad.  You'll go to bed without any supper.">>

I've seen a couple of vivid examples of food issues from our era but I'll only mention my dh (he won't be reading this anyway!).  Although he was breastfed, (he doesn't know how long, so who knows what that means!?) he battles weight now but it's no wonder.  His parents were militant about him
finishing EVERYTHING on his plate.  When he finishes eating, his plate is c.l.e.a.n! There is not a morsel left.  I rarely find everything on my plate edible (in a restaurant).  There'll be lettuce that doesn't look good or tomatoes that are a little green or fat on the meat.  It doesn't matter to
him.  He eats it all!  He picks chicken wings c.l.e.a.n. also.  I find lots on those little things that I won't eat, but not him.  He says his dad would smack his fingers with a fork and/or hand it back to him and say that there was still meat on it if he left anything.  Now, he can't eat any other
way.  Even if he's not that hungry. Also, one of his siblings battles bulimia.  We sure can mess up our kids by imposing arbitrary rules on their feeding practices.  I suppose this could begin with micromanaging breastfeeding!

Marsha (drowning)in Indiana, where my backyard was a lake on Monday!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Marsha Glass RN, BSN, IBCLC
Mothers have as powerful an influence over the welfare of future generations as all other earthly causes combined.
C. Abbot
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2