Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 00:43:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
In a message dated Sat, 25 May 2002 11:50:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:

> i assumed it was because baby really
> couldn't get much without a fast flow, due to poor latch
> and suck . ..

Lyla,
Both things may be true at the same time--the baby may need a fast flow due to the ineffective latch, but also can't manage the fast flow. I worked with one mom whose milk supply fluctuated a great deal b/c of a similar strategy in her baby. The baby really needed a fast flow b/c she couldn;t make a strong seal of effectively remove milk, but she also had a high palate, clicked, had a strong gag reflex, ped ruled out a need for clipping the frenulum (I didn't necessarily disagree in this case) and would begin to chew when the milk supply came up too high. Basically, the baby fought a fast flow and would behave in such a way as to reduce the flow. Then she would be fussy, b/c she really needed the fast flow to get enough milk. We had to fuss a lot w/ the latch to find one that worked (assymetrical, but modified more upright). Mom saw a chiropractor until she was able to resolve the problem enough to nurse well--the chiro was able to work to resolve some of the structural problems and the strong gag reflex. It did take a couple of months, but I saw her when the baby was about 6 mos old and they were doing very well.
Jennifer Tow, IBCLC, CT, USA

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2