Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2017 16:08:39 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
A week or so ago some one asked/made a comment about S-T-S, which tweaked my mind.... I knew it started in Bogata Columia and  I also knew that altho it started with stable premies it eventually became recognized as beneficial for FT babies (gasp).  So I went digging for articles.  In Sept 1979 Drs, Gomez and Sanabria began a change in traditional care for stable low birth weight PT & SGA babies.  Between 1979 to 1990 2,612 LBW babies were cared for in this way. Regardless of weight, if baby is stable and breastfeeding they are sent home with mom, tucked under her clothes between her breasts.  The babies are followed frequently at an Out Pt Clinic.  Drs. Bellman & Rossello wrote a review of the care in 1984 and   G.C. Anderson became interested and wrote an article about it for AJN in 1986.  WHO/UNICEF picked right up on it because it helped with baby survival in developing countries.  There was an explosion of articles about it from the mid 80s to early 90s and since as more interesting research has been done all over the world. Besides the decrease in infant mortality another interesting fact concerns increased maternal attachment to the baby. It also affects the duration of breastfeeding and the duration of exclusive breastfeeding.

I'm not exactly sure how many S-T-S articles we have in CBI RL, but it measures 10+" in the file drawer, sorted by decades.  Pat in SNJ

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2