Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 09:05:13 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Dear Elisa,

You are remembering correctly about the HIV studies - Coutsoudis et al. found that the rates of transmission were virtually the same for mothers who exclusively breastfed or who did not breastfeed at all, with the highest rates being found where mothers did mixed feedings.  We are still waiting for this study to be duplicated as its conclusions were in complete contrast to earlier findings of high rates of transmission in exclusively breastfed babies.  If it is confirmed then it will mean that the strategies presently being presented for preventing HIV transmission to babies will have to be totally reworked.

I remember that long ago (probably late 1980's) at a lactation conference we were told that it was a very bad idea to give breastmilk and formula at the same feeding because (I think) the growth factors in the breastmilk actually made it easier for the proteins in the formula to penetrate the gut and made it more likely that an allergic sequence would begin - the speaker said that feeds should be totally breastmilk or totally formula and that there should be several hours of time between a breastfeed and a formula feed to give time for the breastmilk to exit the GI tract before the formula was introduced.  I have been through my old paper files trying to find out who the speaker was, as I recall it was someone pretty well respected in our field at that time.  Does anyone else remember ever hearing (or saying) anything like this???  It was brought up in regards to whether or not moms who were supplementing should put the breastmilk and the supplement together, either in a bottle or an SNS.

Anyways, I am hoping that another "old" LC like myself will read this post and remember what I am remembering (or think that I'm remembering???).  Waiting anxiously for a reply to confirm that I am not completely losing my marbles.

Warmly,
Sharon Knorr, BSMT, ASCP, IBCLC
Newark, NY (near Rochester on Lake Ontario)
mailto:[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2