Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 May 2005 13:25:38 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Although I have no references on this subject, I do have a story about it.  I work for a WIC agency in the Bronx.  We have mothers come in and tell us a lot of odd stories--sometimes they think it will get them more food.  So we had a woman come in and tell us that although her baby was in foster care, she was breastfeeding and pumping and therefore was entitled to get the exclusive breastfeeders food package from us (it provides extra milk, juice, eggs and tuna and carrots).  The staff thought this was very odd so she was referred to me.   To make a long story short, the baby was on our program, put on by the foster mother, so we were able to check and, sure enough, she did not receive any formula.  While the birth mother was waiting to register, she asked if she could go inside an pump and pumped about 10 oz in  5 minutes!  I was SURE this woman was telling me a story until she took out her pump.  She and the foster mom had a really good relationship and she would drop off 
her pumped milk in the morning and evening and would nurse the baby once a day.  This went on until the baby was a year old.  At last contact, she still did not have custody of the baby (she had anger and abuse issues) but she did see her regularly.  So, with clean urine tests, this is possible.  Sometimes you just  have to work it out between the case worker, foster family and birth mother.  

WIC is really an intersting world.  We see everything there!

Barbara Leshin-Zucker, IBCLC
Morrisania WIC Program
Bronx, NY

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2