Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Mar 2011 09:16:15 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (29 lines)
Dear all:

In terms of males -- I allow them only if all the women in the group are comfortable.  Most of the time they are.  Sometimes they are not.  

A few other questions that I didn't answer about the intensive chaotic approach of these groups:

As mothers drift in, I ask them what issues they are having, which opens up the floodgates.  

Yes, absolutely, mothers almost always talk to each other merely by sitting next to each other.  If two or more women have the same problem, I may ask one of them (usually one who is a little further along in solving the problem) to talk to the others.  Sometimes when the group is very busy and the same problem keeps cropping up I will stop and announce to the whole group that this is a problem, offer tips and ask the others to chime in with their real mom solutions.  

In Manhattan, most groups are run by the same IBCLC all the time.  Some IBCLCs will back each other up when they are ill or have some critical event -- and the communication is direct.  So there usually is not problem with follow up.

If you need to chart and it is part of a "practice" I would suggest having moms fill out all the paperwork (including a health history form) before they enter the group and telling them to arrive xxx minutes ahead of time to do the paperwork.  That will be the next thing I try in my gradual upgrading of this system.  I don't know anyone in private practice other than myself that does the HIPAA and Consent forms for groups. 

I have to say that these types of groups are enormously challenging and chaotic.  A little more like real life.  Twice a week takes a lot of energy.  Once a week is more doable. 

Best regards, Susan Burger

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2