Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:03:48 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (15 lines)
Maybe this is an oversimplified hypothesis, but I've found this true in some cases, that much like it being harder and harder for a woman to let down well for her pump at work, the oxytocin response is not quite as robust as baby gets older and some babies get annoyed with this lack of flow. Add teething into the equation as well as a distractable older baby (too busy to feed during the day) and you have a recipe for sore nipples between the chomping down to call more milk and/or pulling away in frustration. I'm not saying that the cause for her soreness was this same problem early on, but perhaps this is the issue now. I may also ask about pumping and see if she is damaging or had past damage with a breast pump (or past damage from feeding a baby with ankyloglossia for matter!)- also rule out damage to the veins close to the areola. The tissue here is so sensitive and it chronic issues can lead to chronic pain, even when the primary culprit is dealt with. 

Elsa Petersson, BS, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2