Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 May 2013 12:30:02 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)

PTP: Baby, 4 weeks, is gaining weight well (even on the high end of weight gain), enough wet and poopy diapers. Mom and baby have had thrush on and off, and mom seems to only experience nipple pain related to the thrush, other than one crack that healed within the first 2 weeks. I have advised on how to handle possible forceful let-down. 

But not sure what to do about… wavy upper lip while feeding, milk leaking out, lots of smacking noises, some popping on and off. Checked for tongue-tie (including posterior) and labial frenulum. If it is related to either, it is not blatantly obvious upon exam (at least to me; posterior tongue-tie looked to be more of a possibility than tight upper lip). Bottom lip is flanged while feeding. I have advised on lots of different positions and getting a deep latch. She is not in pain. 

Should I be concerned mom’s milk supply might start to drop with the way baby is feeding at breast? 
Keep encouraging her to work on positioning/latching and have tongue checked by dr., OR leave it alone and advise her to watch it?

Thank you.
Natalie Gasser, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2