Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2007 17:12:23 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)

Hi! Well I am on a small island in Hawaii, doing LC consults with a mom on the Outer Banks of NC--from the Pacific to the Atlantic!
Mother of a 4 month old, has had recurrent plugged ducts throughtout this nursing. This is baby number 2-first baby nursed about a year.
She has tried:
Not wearing a bra, not using a carrier, changing sleep positions, pumping, warm compresses, massage. 

This is from her email to me:

"I have the blocked duct in the left breast and yesterday around 3pm my right breast became engorged and will NOT let down for anything. 

I've been pumping and nursing it every 1 1/2 hours. I tried heat, cold, showers, heating pads, ice packs, ibuprofen, massage, nipple massage, lymph node massage.  After a while It got to the point where the bottom underneath of my breast would eventualy let down and 1 0z would come out but the top and sides just won't empty or drain AT ALL. 

I'm  getting scared too because its now 8:30 am and its been about 20 hours. I studied the LLL website and Brad read my books. I found info about it causing permenant cessation of milk production. I'm scared I won't be able to nurse anymore. 
He gets really mad because nothing comes out. When he was sleepy he sucked and sucked forever but when he is awake and hungry it makes him mad. "

I had also had her ask the PT department at the small hospital  that is 1.5 hours away if they had anyone who does ultrasound therapy and they have never heard of it.

Any other suggestions? Help is much appreciated.
On the good news side is the new grandbaby ( we think his name is Mason Kai --seems to be working with all here!) is nursing well, and Stacy's milk production is excellent--probably enough for 3-4 babies but it will settle down. She said she didn't know how Dolly Parton carries those things around, because she is having difficultywith weight balance today!!! Of course with her being a typically size zero petite, big boobs doesn't fit her frame! 

Barbara Whitehead, BS, IBCLC, RLC
eastern NC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
Mail all commands to [log in to unmask]
To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or [log in to unmask])
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet or ([log in to unmask])
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2