Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2012 00:26:33 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (23 lines)
Hi - could you tell us more about your concerns?  You say baby is gaining well - is this with exclusive breastfeeding?  What signs are there that Mom's supply is plummeting?  Is Mom in pain?  

Are you concerned that baby seems to be taking 3 ounces in the morning and 1.8 in the evening?  I wouldn't expect this to be abnormal.  Not sure if I quite followed, but sounds like baby is on the breast for an hour in the evening when demonstrating the 1.8 ounce post-weight.  That doesn't necessarily mean baby needs an hour to get that 1.8 ounces and in fact may get it in the first 10 minutes and then spend some of the calories while nursing for the next 50 minutes.

I worry that ongoing pre- and post-feed weights can lead to much stress for parents.  I worked with one Mom who did this and she had a severe case of post-partum depression.  In her case the pre- and post- weighing of weights turned out to be a component of post-partum OCD, though I'm certain this is not the case with all who do this.

From the description this sounds to me like all is well - but maybe I missed something . . . 

Ellen

Ellen Rubin, MA, IBCLC, LLLL

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2