Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:03:54 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
I used to not want to use nipple shields, but over the course of years, I've seen many women use them, and after a very short time, they want to wean them from the shields.  I usually recommend that moms relax and use the shield.  Just as all babies will wean, all babies and moms stop using the shields, usually by 3 months.  

What a horrible entry into this world, of course this baby is all messed up and stressed.  I'd recommend a lot of skin to skin, in baths, and out, and a lot of baby massage.  A good chiropractor might help too, but really, I'd encourage mom to simply try to create a world where baby is safe and secure, staying at home, in bed, warm baths, calm music, few people around, and let baby get a chance to see that this world is a pretty good place.  After a few weeks, baby will calm down, and mom will be too sleepy one night to put on the shield and baby will nurse and over the next week or so, the shield will no longer be needed.  

Joylyn Souter

---- Julie Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote: 
> I have a client with a 4 week old infant who was a forcep delivery and would NOT latch. Mom pumped and bottle fed for two weeks because the baby refused to nurse and he was losing weight. When I started working with her, I couldn't get the baby to breastfed either. That is unusual for me. We started finger feeding and avoiding ALL rubber nipples. That went really well except at the next week we tried to offer the breast...skin to skin, half asleep. He will lick but as soon as he figured out he is at the breast, he screams! He cries and gets very upset. We back off, calm him down, give him something to eat and do it again. Cries and freaks out. Then I moved onto a nipple shield because my philosophy is that I perfer baby at breast vs. away from mom. Baby latches and is happy. Now mom a week later, mom wants shield off and I am not confident that the baby is going to nurse without it. I see this baby as very high strung. Freaks at diaper changes. Freaks at anything out of his routine. My next idea is to try to offer the breast in a dark room. Any more thoughts? The baby is extremely tense and does not like anything different. Mom is not into alternative therapies as I would think CST would benefit baby.
>  You can email privately or through group, I would appreciate any feedback.
> 
> ____________________________________________________________
> GET FREE 5GB EMAIL - Check out spam free email with many cool features!
> Visit http://www.inbox.com/email to find out more!
> 
>              ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2