Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Nov 2007 22:52:39 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Laurie, thank you so much for your response.  Everything you said makes so much sense.   When the baby was readmitted to the hospital for the high bilirubin, the mother was told that there were many indications that baby really is that young.  The mother is not diabetic and wasn't during the pregnancy.
 Baby was slightly below discharge weight at day five when I saw him and I am sure that jaundice was lack- of- breast- milk jaundice not because of it but what can you do... Mom didn't even tell me what happened until after the fact.  She went back to the hospital today.  The bilirubin is down but baby has gained very little weight.  Mom did the math and figured out that between how much the baby slept and then taking an hour to latch, that baby was really only eating about 6 times a day.  She is renting a lactina and pumping every 3 hours and trying to feed the baby more often than she was - paced bottle feed.  Meanwhile she will try to do as much S2S as possible and give the baby access to the breast and let him do what he wants.  She is relieved to think that the baby might just need time to grow and mature before he can latch on easily and to focus more on getting milk into the baby then having him latch on right now.  I gave her a diaper diary to help keep track of input and output.
    I would like to know how you came up with 44 mls every 2 hours.  That would come out to 528 mils a day, is that enough? I really should look up a protocol for how much to feed preterm babies.

Again thank you so so much,
All the best,
Chayn (Nancy) in Israel

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2