Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jun 2006 05:52:16 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (41 lines)
I agree with Janice that the current debate and publicity are a step forward.  Yes, Lori Leibovich 
plays the guilt card in a frustrating way, but, by and large, accepts the research-based health 
claims about the risks of not breastfeeding. Yes, she can't help but cast one small aspersion at the 
research, but I think it is significant that her biggest problem is that the current "pressure" to 
breastfeed is frustrating because women who very much want to breastfeed face many obstacles 
that frequently derail even the most committed mother.  Like Janice, Karleen and others have said, 
the breastfeeding community heartily agrees with this assessment of the US.  This is significant 
common ground.  

I think the varied responses to the ad campaign have a lot to do with socio-economic class.  
Affluent, well-educated moms tend to, as a matter of course, educate themselves about the latest 
health and safety information regarding infant care.  If they find that is beyond their power to 
fulfill any of the current requirements for "good mothering," this is enormously frustrating.  If 
insult is added to injury by way of an ad campaign that, in outrageous terms, underlines just how 
bad it is to not do what they were unable to do, well, that's when we start seeing angry op-ed 
pieces...

On the other hand, and this is not my original idea, women who are less likely to be aware of 
current health recommendations, and who are more likely to follow local practices, are much less 
likely to have a defensive response to the ad campaign.  They are more likely to say, "Wow, is that 
true?  I need to look into this,"  which is just the response I imagine the creators of the ads would 
want.  

In the end, I have to agree with others who have had said that if any pressure should be applied 
regarding the shamefully short breastfeeding duration rates in the US, it should be on the health 
care sector, government, and employers.  

Kerry Ose

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2