Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 22:09:30 +0200
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
Dear Lactnetters,
  I came to the end of my wit with this case, so the mother asked me to post it on Lactnet.
Baby girl is 17 wks old. Birthweight 3090 grs (6.8 lbs), now weighs 6230 grs (13.7 lbs). Seemingly feels well.
Ever since she was born, her stool has had mucus in it. The mother is on bovine free diet since her birth (except during labor, when she ate lots of milk chocolate as no other fodd was allowed in the hospital). During this time there were a few occasions when the mother accidentally ate dairy.
On 2 June the mother found bloody spots in the baby's stool. That was when she phoned me, as the gastroenterologist wanted the mother to stop breastfeeding and feed the baby entirely on Neocate. I suggested here a basic diet (turkey, rice, carrots, potatoes, apple, salt, pepper and water) plus we started to work on her reported oversupply, which she managed to downregulate by now. The next two days the stools seemed to get better. The mom was on the diet, and the baby received 20-50 grs Neocate. The third day the mom exclusively breastfed, and there was again lots of mucus in the stools. Baby was gassy.
Blood didn't show up again, but ever since the stools have lots of mucus in them despite the mother's diet and the downregulating of the oversupply.
Baby is not teething and is not ill.
The same happened to the baby's brother who is now 1,5. He was exclusively breastfed for 6 mos, had lots of mucus and blood in stools by then and was completely weaned to Neocate hich solved the problem in one week. His dx was allergic colitis and gastroenteritis.
Mom has lost a lot of weight during lactation with both kids, although she is not overweight. But she is very-very motivated to breastfeed and is willing to try anything to be able to nurse her daughter longer. But now she sees no other alternative to Neocate.

TIA,
Eszter Schneiderné Diószegi, IBCLC from Hungary

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2