Subject:
Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Sep 2003 12:49:43 EDT
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1184 bytes) , text/plain (2781 bytes)
Dear Lactnet friends, Long time no post!

I have been no-mail for more than a year now, though it's hard for me to
believe that much time has gone by.

But I do read along in the archives from time to time, and last week I
noticed questions about how the new American privacy legislation called HIPAA
affection lactation support people.

Since one of my closest friends happens to make his living as a HIPAA
consultant (to hospitals but also smaller providers - I seem to recall he has a lot
of audiologist clients, etc), I passed the question along to him, and he gave
me permission to post his reply, below.

Cheers to all --
Elisheva

Elisheva S. Urbas
250 W 94th Street 5A New York 10025
212-678-7166 / [log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

free advice: Strictly speaking, only healthcare providers (including LCs) that submit heathcare claims in electronic formats, need to comply with HIPAA. That being said, since a) HIPAA has increased patient sensitivity about privacy issues, and b) most insurance companies will stop handling paper (i.e., non-electronic) claims during the next few years, it seems prudent for LCs to do a few basic things, as follows: 1. Develop and distribute a basic Notice of Privacy Practices (for a free, customizable version, LCs can visit the Resources section of my website at www.hcAnalytics.com). 2. Store patient records in a secure place. 3. Either avoid sending email that contains protected health information or encrypt it before sending. 4. Allow patients to access their records. 5. Only disclose patient information for reasons of payment, treatment, or healthcare operations. Secure an explicit patient authorization before making a disclosure for any other reason. 6. Talk to new patients about your privacy practices. 7. Treat patient information with care: don't discuss treatment with friends, relatives, etc. Hope this helps, DMJ Dan Jacob Healthcare Analytics, LLC 225 West 106th Street, 8G NY, NY 10025 www.hcAnalytics.com 917.647.0880 - phone 212.665.5422 - fax >From: [log in to unmask] >To: [log in to unmask] >Subject: HIPPA and LCs >Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 01:06:31 EDT > >I don't usually read the breastfeeding support listserv anymore -- don't >have >that kind of time -- but tonight I was treating myself to a half hours >worth >from the archives, and read this: > >"In a related matter, what have any private practice LC's done about the >HIPPA >compliance and does it even apply to us? I have clients sign a simple >consent >form which tells them I may share their information with other health care >or >insurance providers, but it is not detailed as the HIPPA Notices I have >been >signing at every medical provider I have been to in recent months." > >Care to comment? either to give free advice, or I could post info about >your >service if you think LCs are a good potential market for you? > >esu > > > >Elisheva S. Urbas >250 W 94th Street 5A New York 10025 >212-678-7166 / [log in to unmask] _________________________________________________________________ Compare Cable, DSL or Satellite plans: As low as $29.95. https://broadband.msn.com              *********************************************** To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest) To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet All commands go to [log in to unmask] The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM) mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to: http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2