Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2018 05:28:10 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1 lines)
Hi All,

1. Safety of MRI- no reason to pump and dump-  https://themilkmob.org/questions/radiologic-studies-lactation/

2. Staph on nipples- there is no reason to not breastfeed. Everyone has staph aureus on their skin at some point, and staph aureus is a frequent bacteria found in breastmilk in asymptomatic women. The infant's largest immune organ is the intestine. The baby can detoxify the bacteria in the gut without a problem, it will not cause infection in the baby. This is why it is safe to nurse when the breast is red, hot and clearly infected.  You can tell her that if she does not breastfeed, her baby will be exposed to staph aureus regardless (thru bottle nipples, toys that fall on the floor, placed on a table, etc) but won't have the advanced gut maturity afforded to her by breastmilk in order to stay as safe from pathogens. 

Freezing milk does not destroy staph- we freeze milk samples in order to study the pathogens in the milk in the future, so we know that the bacteria will grow once we thaw and and reheat the milk.

Anne

Anne Eglash MD, IBCLC, FABM

Clinical Professor, Department of Family and Community Medicine

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health

Medical Director, UW Lactation Services

Medical Director, Mothers Milk Bank of the Western Great Lakes

Founder and President of The Milk Mob, dedicated to building Breastfeeding Knowledgeable Medical Systems and Communities http://www.themilkmob.org

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Jan 2018 14:22:13 +0000

Subject: MRI

A mother has just contacted me because she has to have an MRI scan to c heck her heart. She had a letter from the hospital to say she will need to refrain from breastfeeding for 48 hours following the procedure. I can't find any evidence to support this, and haven't come across this before. Has anyone else?

Sally Etheridge IBCLC

Programme Lead

Leicester Mammas CIC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html

To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]

Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:16:09 -0500

Subject: Staph aureus on nipples

Hi all!

Excuse the ignorance of my question...  PTP I have a pt I thought had yeast on her nipples, cultured the nipples for verification.  Culture came back positive for staph aureus.  Mom is now panicky and wanting to quit breastfeeding.  I put her on Mupirocin cream. She has no abscess, no systemic symptoms, no breast pain.  Nipples are red, slightly shiny with white curds....    She is asking me questions I do not know the answer to.  I did some research and am not finding the answers I need.  She has concerns of transferring staph aureus to her infant. Since it is on her own skin I stated she may have transferred it to her infant, who is one month old.  Infant is healthy with no ill symptoms. I explained to her the prevalence of staph aureus in the community.  I discussed pumping and not breastfeeding until nipples are healed.  She had concerns of staph aureus being in her breastmilk, I offered to culture her milk. She has declined at this time.  She would like a systemic antibiotic instead of topical mupirocin.  I explained that since she is symptom free, no fevers, abscesses etc an antibiotic is not indicated at this time.   She asked about feeding her freshly EBM to her infant.  I can't find much info on this?  I feel the acidity of the gut and the antimicrobial properties of the milk would decrease the amount of staph her infant would be exposed to?  I thought possibly freezing the milk for a time period would kill some of the staph if she was really concerned?  Does flash pasteurizing kill staph?  I do not know these answers and after some searches am not finding concrete answers.  So, any info related to this case greatly appreciated!   

Also, where else do you go to find evidence based answers to breastfeeding questions?  I use UpToDate which is not rich in breastfeeding resources, Lactnet, and google scholar for peer reviewed articles....

Thanks!  This site IS rich in breastfeeding answers and I thank you all who share their wisdom for all to benefit.

Kim Kuopus  FNP, IBCLC

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Date:    Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:30:15 -0500

Subject: Re: MRI

Need  to know what contrast they are using.  Pat in SNJ

COMMANDS:

End of LACTNET Digest - 8 Jan 2018 to 10 Jan 2018 (#2018-11)

COMMANDS:

1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail

2. To start it again: set lactnet mail

3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet

4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2