Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Nov 2006 14:43:29 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (27 lines)
I rarely do test weights because I find them inaccurate.

Last week, in hospital, I was looking after prem twins now 35 weeks.  Mom had a good milk supply / babies were just starting to breastfeed.  The doctor ordered test weights.

Before starting the feeds I explained, to the mother, that test weighing wasn't always accurate but would give us an idea if the babies were transferring milk.  I also told her that sometimes it seemed obvious that the baby had received more than the scale showed and sometimes when it didn't seem apparent that the baby was doing much sucking or swallowing that the scale showed a fair amount of intake.

Baby A went to the breast and nursed quite well for 15 minutes.  Lots of long deep sucks and swallowing heard.  I estimated the baby had taken about 15  - 20 mls.  The test weigh showed 5 ml.  She was then topped up with a bottle and took 30 of her usual 45 ml feed.

Baby B went to the breast.  She was very sleepy, we saw an occasional single swallow and very few long deep sucks. She was on the breast for 10 minutes.  I estimated she might have got 2 or 3 ml.  Her test weigh showed she had taken in 15 ml. She was topped up with a bottle and took 45 of her usual 45 ml feed.

Both babies lay quietly on the scale for all the weights.  The pre and post weights were done with a diaper only and the diaper was not changed between weights.  The mother has approximately the same amount of milk in both breasts.  She pumped shortly after the breast feed and got less from the breast baby A had been on.

The mother laughed when I told her the weights and decided that likely the most accurate way to know the babies were taking in enough was if they were pooing and peeing.  I agreed.

Renee Hefti - Graham, Vancouver, Canada 

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET email list is powered by LISTSERV (R).
There is only one LISTSERV. To learn more, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2