Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2013 20:54:05 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (31 lines)
What is the baby's suck exam like? Does the baby have torticollis ( with the rolling on her side) or any rigidity?

Gail Hertz
[log in to unmask]

On May 23, 2013, at 8:31 PM, Betsy Hoffmeister <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Help! I am totally baffled! I have permission to post. I had a home visit today with a mom of a 11 day old baby. She had a very easy birth, 4 pushes, first baby. Mom has copious milk. Other than a very high palate, baby looked really normal to me. Mom's nipples were intact and healthy; breasts looked completely healthy. She has excruciating, searing pain during and between breastfeeding BUT ONLY ON HER LEFT. It's so painful that she was tearing up just thinking about it. It hurt to hand express. In fact, it hurt so bad she wouldn't let down despite having lots of milk there. There were no breast lumps, no redness, no heat, no fever. Baby makes a weird smacking sound -- not a clicking sound, which made me grab my Elizabeth Brooks penlight and look for a cleft (which is when I saw the palate was so high). There was NO visible assymetry in baby's face, but I have a lot of photos & videos to share. I am stumped and feel like a heel for not knowing what to say. Grandma said she had a similar experience with pain on one side nursing her daughter but not her son. Oh... and baby rolled over onto her right side and does it frequently; pediatrician suggested swaddling her to sleep to keep her from rolling over. (Although - if she were swaddled and did roll over she wouldn't be able to protect her face!! duh!!) Please help, I literally didn't know what to tell her. 
> 
>             ***********************************************
> 
> Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
> To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
> Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
> COMMANDS:
> 1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
> 2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
> 3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
> 4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2