text/plain (30 lines)
>the only thing that doesn't work about these analogies when 
>used for comparison to bf v ffing is that we are almost all 
>of us born with volvos in our driveways and fully paid 
>scholarships to the ivy league college of our choice in
>our lockboxes when it comes to bfing! 

The analogy I heard at a conference was:

"Air with smoke... the closest thing to air itself!"

But realistically, I agree with other list members.  We have a contingent of moms who want to be able to say they tried "And I just didn't have enough".  The real reasons tend to be that they didn't really want to but held up appearances, thought breast milk was terrific but feeding at the breast gross, or truly DID expect a BF baby to feed for ten minutes then sleep for four hours, allowing them to get on with other things in their busy, busy lives.  We hear this in prenatal class all the time.  Some moms fall in love with the baby, and all that thinking changes.  Some don't.  The baby is another accessory to the good life.   As the baby becomes more challenging it becomes a serious shock to some of them.  

My example from the days when I was an ER nurse are the yuppie couple with the 9 month old.  The come into ER wearing designer jeans, Gucci loafers and carrying a lovely infant in clothes from Baby Gap.  It's a Sunday evening, it's busy, they're impatient.  They say, "The baby has DIARRHEA.  It has to be well by tomorrow to go to daycare".  On being reassured that the baby has a virus, is really not very sick and will recover with time, but must be kept out of daycare, they reply, "But I have_______________, tomorrow". Fill in with: court, a meeting, a client, a big sale, or even occasionally, my exercise class.

Who ever told anyone that having infants, babies, pre-schooler, teens, young adults was EVER going to be convenient??

Judith

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2