Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Sep 2002 09:28:10 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
Hi,

As a pediatrician I thought I would comment on the bloody stools and prescribing issues that have been discussed.

I have sometimes seen bloody stools in otherwise healthy young breastfeeding babies.  This is often during the time when the usually less than 6 week old babies are still stooling frequently.  This is the time when they often get diaper rashes because it is hard to keep up with the stooling and hard to keep their bottoms dry and clean.  If their physical exam and growth is normal I usually advise the mom try removing cow's milk from the diet.  If this does not work I find it is not useful to spend lots of time agonizing over the cause.  Just a little vaseline to the backside and waiting until the stooling subsides after the initial frequent stoolig period takes care of the problem.

I usually prescribe the meds to treat candida for the mom and the baby.  It is usually easier than trying to talk often reluctant OB's prescribing.  If mom is in good health and is on no other medications I just ask her to tell her ob the next time she sees him or her.  If mom is on other medications I call the OB myself and talk about the situation.

Penny Soppas MD

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2