Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 19:08:11 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (21 lines)
Laurie,

The two dyads I've worked with that had CVID, both only knew of the baby having it (and neither time until after the baby was a year old -- babies stopped gaining around 9m due to intolerances to the solid foods they were eating). One of the mothers believed she had RA but had no blood markers for it and symptoms resolved when she eliminated gluten from her diet on guidance from the pediatric GI doc. Both of them had very severe oversupply and tongue-tied babies. I wouldn't have been surprised to learn either mom had CVID or low/absent IgA or IgG but neither ever told me that (if they knew themselves at any point during or after our work together). 

I've not found anything on lactation and CVID in the literature (and I've looked some) but I have read some about CVID/IgA/IgG deficiencies and intolerances to gluten, casein, and/or eggs, which would make sense given what I've seen in mothers with oversupply who reduce the potentially inflammatory foods in their diets (when the immune system is called upon to deal with a dietary protein, that's often an inflammatory response). 

There's a lot out there about insulin resistance (an inflammatory state) and low milk output, so perhaps there's some of that going on for this mom? 

--Diana Cassar-Uhl
MPH, IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2