Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 13:02:07 -0900
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (34 lines)
I had quite a few Lactnet digests to get through, so I did all of this before I read through them and discovered that the Disney misinformation article is now sort of passe.  Anyway, just thought I would share my reaction.

The original "Article" for anyone catching up, like me:  http://familyfun.go.com/raisingkids/baby/care/feature/dony59wobottle/dony59wobottle.html

This is where you can find an Online Comments form:  http://psc.disney.go.com/guestservices/contactus/comments.html

And this is what I wrote in response ... perhaps unnecessary, but I know so many people who think Disney can and would do no wrong!

To Whom it May Concern: 

Stephanie Wood's article, Bottle-feeding Made Easy, at the above URL on the Disney website is possibly one of the most disturbing pieces of misinformation that I have had the displeasure to recently read.  It is not only incredibly FULL of misleading statements, but also ones that are absolutely FALSE.  I quote "And whether you breastfeed for an entire year or only during the early months, you're going to need to supplement with formula at some point."  This statement, and several others as well, is not even TRUE!

Please, there is a wealth of scientific literature showing the importance of breastfeeding for the health of our nation's babies ... this is not a lifestyle choice.  Breastfeeding is a health imperative for this nation and mothers who "choose" not to breastfeed are doing so based on the same false information that is being perpetuated in this obvious advertising for the formula industry.

Disney has a moral obligation to be more responsible than to print, in any format, this type of misleading and outright fictitious information.

I expect a reply and will be happy to provide the Disney company, and Ms. Wood, with solid scientifically based research.  Print that and then let mothers make a truly informed choice about what is best for their babies!

With Sincere Distress,
Heidi Koslo
[log in to unmask]

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2