Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 1999 05:59:49 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (19 lines)
Diane made some wonderful comments concerning hospitals and support systems and how they are used. To me, one of the un-recognized aspects of support networks, is that they help make someone aware of how 'normal' or common breastfeeding is/can be. Many moms have not had much or any contact with babies, let alone a breastfed baby before having their own first child.

With contact either in connection with the hospital or outside of it (but with the hospitals' recognition or recommendation) moms can see other moms in the same position and a bit further down the mothering road and begin to see breastfeeding in a more normal or common view, rather than some of the subtle and not so subtle distortions, misconceptions and misinformation that is more commonly seen.

And hospital recognition/recommendation adds credibility to other breastfeeding support systems, especially in some parents minds. 

I still believe we are all on the same side, have basically the same goal and should do everything possible to work together for the ultimate good of mother and baby. 

As for the breastfeeding mothers home . . . I love to cook, but I don't do windows!

Leslie Ward
Fort Hood, TX 

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2