Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 19:08:58 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (46 lines)
Dear all:

I really simply do not prop large breasts.  I may have once or twice helped a mom with a 
rolled towel if its uncomfortable to lie down with large breasts.  But really, I'm struggling 
to remember when if ever I did it.  

The only thing I find that needs shaping is just what goes in the baby's mouth.  Some 
babies you can let hang between moms legs --- with the head hanging back and neck 
supported on one thigh and the butt supported on the other.  A little flip of the nipple and 
small bit of pressure on the baby's back and that baby is on with no pillows. Even more 
radically some moms can simply drop the breast into the baby's mouth AND if the nipple 
is pointed to the roof of the mouth ---- it works.  Defying everything I was taught.  If it 
works, it works even if it defies conventional wisdom.

A separate issue is the elasticity of the breast -- and while there does seem to be some 
relationship between elasticity of the areola and larger breasts --- that is not always the 
case.  Too taut -- and sometimes you need to shape.  Too elastic and they slip out of the 
mouth.  Both can be helped with a very radical extreme form of the "flipple" technique as  
Esther called it or what we used to call "bending the breast".  Last resort is the nipple 
shield.

I hadn't really realized that I actually like working with "long breasts" as my former 
mentors called them. I really sincerely mean it when I tell you I find it easier to get a 
moms comfortable with large breasts.  Think about the entire expanse of those breasts 
that a baby can snuggle up to --- in many positions.  With smaller breasts there is far 
less cushion and you often have to really pay attention to getting the baby's chest really 
close into the cleavage or under the armpit.  Even better --- large breasts can make this 
great natural receiving blanket that gives almost surround the baby skin-to-skin contact 
by having one over the top of the baby's bottom and side.  If that isn't the nearest thing 
to crawling back into the womb, I don't know what is.

Truly --- today is a light bulb moment for me.  

Best, Susan

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2