Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 May 2005 16:39:12 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (39 lines)
Mentoring is my big "passion" right now and I have to agree that the path for non-nurses becoming IBCLC is challenging.  I am on of the lucky ones who found a great mentor (after a LOT of asking) and am trying to set up a program to mentor others who want to become IBCLC certified. 

In working towards becoming certified, I found the education can be hard to obtain and expensive.  I was lucky to find a healthcare management degree program that is 90% on-line courses that gave me the credits and some of the medical courses that I needed.  I was not able to afford or attend classes at a local college while having young children and needing to work to support our family so this was a great option for me.  

After education the clinincal skills were harder to obtain, I think that if we want good younger IBCLC's that we need a way to get clinincal skills easier than it is now.  I think I talked to most of the IBCLC's in the area and was told, I can't help, my facility says I can;t help, etc.  It was a blessing that my mentor was put into my life when I was thinking of not pursuing certification as I was really feeling that if I was not an RN I was not going to be able to do it.  

I look at the 2 five day courses I took and the book work that I did before working with my mentor and wonder why I ever thought that I was prepared to work clinically.  Neither of the courses gave me any clinical skills, but I could quote facts and figures.  My mentor was great to point that out in the first week!   I spent a few months being taught by her the fine points to consultation and mom/baby mechanics that a book could not.

It took me a long time to get the hours to sit the exam and I am glad of that in a way as I am very competent in my skills.  I and proud to say that I am a MOM and an IBCLC, not being a nurse helps me in some ways and hurts me in others, so I take courses where I can and read as much as possible to learn what I lack not being a nurse. 

I would not dream of being anything else but an IBCLC and am proud of my credential and the road I had to walk to get here, I just wish that it was not such an uphill battle to have gotten here.  If I had not had my mentor, I would still be struggling to get the hours.   I logged more than 5,000 hours with breastfeeding moms and babies before I sat the exam in 2003, that is impressive and to think that I did it with a toddler and 4 other kids was amazing. 

I really feel for those that are trying to get a mentor and can't find anyone, If we want this profession to go forward the clinical skills need to be there and the best way to learn is under the direction of an experienced person.  I would not go see a doctor or chiropractor that did not have clinincal skills, why should we be any different.  

Being that we are a private practice and I have spoken out on mentoring, I get a lot of calls from those wanting the new "500 hour pathway" but I cannot provide the mentoring as I am in private practice and the local hospitals are not able to help with the components that I can't nor have I been certified long enough. But we are setting up a program to mentor those who just need clinincal hours and are willing to pay for their mentoring time (most often in trade for office and busy work, that I can never find time to do)

If you want to know more about the mentoring program I am working on setting up, please e-mail me off list and I'll be happy to tell you more.

Catherine Warren, IBCLCBoard Certified Lactation Consultant Lactation Consultants of Atlanta, Inc.1950 Spectrum Circle ~ Suite 400 ~ Marietta, GA 30067
Phone 678-921-2838  Fax 678-921-2839 www.breastfeedingatlanta.com ~ www.thepumpexpress.com  

To temporarily stop your subscription: set lactnet nomail
To start it again: set lactnet mail (or digest)
To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
All commands go to [log in to unmask]

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(R)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2